Tuesday, May 6, 2014

TAW: Tuesday

Don't take pictures at 10 p.m.
Today is the Teacher Appreciation Day ... as if an entire week isn't confusing enough.

I suppose if you are going to pick one day to celebrate your teacher, today would be that day.

I've read plenty of places that teacher's love letters and hand-drawn pictures the best - even over gift cards. I often wonder how many of those are actually written from a teacher's perspective? I do believe the teacher does NOT want something with an apple on it nor does he/she want something with a pencil, although our teacher did ask for mechanical pencils for today's activity....

Which leads me into Tuesday - the day where parents bring in the teacher's most requested school supplies to help get him or her through the last few weeks of school.

Our teacher asked for mechanical pencils and staples.

The nurse asked for dixie cups, Clorox wipes, hand wipes, chewable Benedryl and chewable ibuprofen {this is where I come in as a parent and say "I had no idea the nurse could even give my kid medicine!?! And that's followed by, why doesn't the school provide this for them?!?}

A quick email to the parents and they graciously provided all of the requested items for the teacher/nurse.

I sent in these two containers with Tyler - one red, one green; both purchased from the Dollar Store - so the teacher could collect the supplies in the respective bin and get them where they needed to go.

I probably should have told her that plan. Whoops.

Regardless, they both got a new bin with their name {yeah for my Cricut and vinyl!} and their supplies.

Now tomorrow, they're going to be celebrated with a surprise gift from the PTO.

I'll be back with my handiwork on Thursday.

At Ashlee's school, I sent in her teacher appreciation gifts today {she actually missed school yesterday so it worked out well}. I gave you a sneak peak on Friday.

She was excited to show Mr. Jordan and Ms. Kristin their gifts, which she happily helped me with {and by happily, I mean, she got me to change around the super heroes so they were on the "wrong" containers but since it was for her teachers, I just went with it}

I made both of them candy jars in the likes of gumball machines. I filled them with their favorite candy, Raisinettes, or non-candy, sunflower seeds. And adorned {mod podge!} them with super heroes, which I got from a blog I follow/love, Kiki & Company, about 2 years ago for free {I've been holding onto them for just the right project; originally, they were Father's Day printables}.

I used what was supposed to be food labels for the "cards" to the teachers. I came up with a super hero saying {one that's somewhat popular on the web} and used baker's twine to attach it to the candy jar.....


I love how they turned out! The super hero theme was great for both teachers, since one was male and one was female. And they seemed genuinely excited to get them - even if Ashlee was so excited to give it to them that she accidentally dropped one of the lids and it shattered on the floor {luckily, she was able to glue it}.

The entire candy jar, including candy, cost me about $5. I used left over spray paint and paint for the containers {I'm a bit of a paint hoarder}.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

THat's so fun that you follow Kiki's blog. She is the daughter of a former VP I used to work for and super awesome. I've followed her blog for a few years now. Love it.

Sarah Fitz