I had my neurologist appointment again today. She knew who I was this time, and I had my MRI slides in tow so she could look at them, which she said was very helpful. Here is what I learned, or at least what I interpreted from the appointment:
- There are three types of the malformation I have (where my brain hangs into my spinal fluid/column too far). I have the "found on accident" version. They do not think this is causing my pain.
- I have the back of a 40-something-year-old woman because of this malformation. Boy, isn't that good news? Geesh, I just turned 30!
- I have lost 23 of the 34 lbs. I gained during pregnancy, which they thought would alleviate the pain in my arm. It has decreased it but it's still very prevelant in my right arm (slight in my left arm).
- I will need surgery in one to two years (probably two as I will have to bank up my sick leave again). I will need four to six weeks to recover. If I plan on having another baby and/or get pregnant (neither are planned), then I will have to get in right away as the pain I'm feeling (scale of 1-10, 15!) will be even worse without surgery. I can't even imagine!
- I have to go to physical therapy once a week for four weeks for pelvic strengthening. She thinks this will somehow make my arms feel better.
- I continue to use lidacain patches on my arms, cock-up splints at night and she gave me a prescription for some reflector patch, which I do daily with ice.
- The neurologist thinks the pain is not only from the carpal tunnel but residual effects of that stupid car accident I was in in 2003 that screwed up my back (and cracked my sternum). I already knew I had continual back pain from that but I had no idea it would affect my arms.
3 comments:
Sorry that you're going through all this pain Kati! Doesn't sound like fun at all. If those patches are what I had when I was doing PT after my car accident they are awesome. I always felt fantastic after using them.
So sorry to hear that Kati! At least it sounds like you know the scoop of what is wrong now. Hopefully the PT will help!
There's no other way to say it...That sucks!
I'm curious to see how pelvic strengthening will help your arms. Did you see an actual medical degree on that woman's call?
Post a Comment